~This blog is intended as an avenue to spread the Gospel and to encourage those who are already Christians. I hope you'll begin by reading my Faith Story located in the July 2011 archives.~











Monday, April 30, 2012

Changes They Are A' Comin

     Last year, I became convicted of a particular sin in my life.  I say this not to go into depth dissecting my sin, but to speak of the process of sanctification in the life of a Christ-follower.  Sanctification is a fancy word (and also a Biblical word) for a progressive process in a Christian's life.  Jesus continually sanctifies His children and transforms them into His image by the power of the Holy Spirit.  It doesn't mean we stop sinning.  That's impossible.  But as we are sanctified, our old ways become uncomfortable and feel wrong to us because we are drawing closer to God.  And then we ask forgiveness for that sin that feels wrong and leave it behind.

     I'll use my sin as an example.  Socializing with other parents and friends, I found great pleasure in discussing the faults and mistakes of our precious children.  It would somehow make me feel better about myself to talk bad about a child who was having sex or caught up in drugs or just too big for their britches. I'd justify my behavior by thinking things like, "if they are going to do stuff that bad, they can expect to be talked about."  I'd sometimes completely give up on that child and deem him or her worthless and bad.  Wow!  What a rotten person I was!  Can't believe I'm admitting this.

     When God is in the process of transforming/sanctifying us...the process can be painful indeed.  In fact, I have dealt with depression, anger, lonliness and deep sadness during this time of change.  He knocked down my pride in one fell swoop. God has put me in situations that have left me with no way of fixing them except to look to Him.  Was I that hard-headed and stuck in my sin?  Apparently so.  I have had to make life changes.  I can no longer be close and cozy with certain people who are still stuck in this lifestyle.  I have to keep a loving distance. 

     This process can apply to all sin and is personal to the individual.  Even though we would like to categorize sin and believe ours is not as bad as other people's sin, that is not the truth.  Sin is sin and all sin is equal in God's eyes.  For example, I believe that adultery and homosexuality are wrong.  The Bible tells us that it is.  But someone who is caught up in that sin must go through their own process of sanctification if they are truly following Christ.  An adulterer who has begun trusting in God may continue having an affair.  But God will surely work in that person's life to change and mold them.  In God's time, not ours...they will know that adultery and the Christian life are not compatible.  They will begin to view the world and their personal difficulties from a Biblical perspective.  Our job is to love them as God takes care of the details. 

   When we are saved, we are justified.  Sanctification occurs as a result of salvation.  Once saved, we are no longer held hostage by death but are sanctified simply because of His wonderful grace.  Does this make sense?  Hope so.  I know that I will forever be in the process of becoming more like Him.  What other yucky thing will I need to get rid of next?  The refining process might not be pretty but the rewards are out of this world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment