~This blog is intended as an avenue to spread the Gospel and to encourage those who are already Christians. I hope you'll begin by reading my Faith Story located in the July 2011 archives.~











Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Exploring Spiritual Gifts

     Yesterday's blog touched on spiritual gifts but there is so much more to say.  Unfortunately, there is no way a blog can ever truly cover any of these topics like Jesus, the Bible, prayer, etc...It can only be a few thoughts and reflections on the subject.  So here is a bit more of what I'd like to share about spiritual gifts that you may find helpful.

     Learning what gifts God has given you is a life-changing experience.  When we use our gifts, we are more effective Christians.  When I looked at myself, all I could see were flaws and weaknesses and it seemed like I lacked any real purpose.  I'm bad at a lot of things. Don't laugh.  It's true.  How could God use someone like me?  As I mentioned yesterday, my pastor felt strongly that our church members all needed to find their purpose in order to be more effective as a church body and as Christians.

    Here is some of what I learned and it might help you to find your purpose:

Step 1)  Listen to your heart.  What are you happiest doing?  Are you good at anything in particular?  Your natural reaction to a situation will offer insight to what gifts you possess.

Step 2)  Spiritual Gift Assessment.  My pastor put an assessment on the church website and I found out I had some gifts I'd never considered.  Me...a gift of evangelism?  We also took a personality test and I learned I was a "melancholy".  As a melancholy... I'm analytical, thoughtful, and sensitive but also moody, critical, pessimistic and a loner.  How could my personality and gifts work together?  The web is filled with sites where you can take these self-assessments. 

Step 3)  Pray.  God is the one who placed the gift inside you and He will confirm if you are on the right track.  Prayer will help you remain faithful and humble in the use of your gift.

Step 4)  Exercise your gift.   Begin to use the gift you believe you've been given.   If there is not a sense of fulfillment or joy just from exercising the gift (and not from affirmations by people), you may need to continue to seek God to reveal your gifts to you.  Remember, the gift and the power behind the gift ultimately belongs to God. 

     May you find your gift and may it be used to serve those around you and to bring others into the kingdom of God.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your blogs...I do know you have a gift of a great voice....or so I have been told!! So let's hear it sometime!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. is this Caroline C? Thanks for reading my blog. I've kind of forgotten about the voice one. Maybe I need to get it out and dust it off. And you...let's see. Hospitality, giving, kindness, compassion, gentleness and self-control for starters.

    ReplyDelete