~This blog is intended as an avenue to spread the Gospel and to encourage those who are already Christians. I hope you'll begin by reading my Faith Story located in the July 2011 archives.~











Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Entertaining Angels



     I heard a gentle rapping on my back sun porch.  It was my next-door neighbor stopping by yet again to deliver another home-baked goody or something she "just didn't have room for anymore."  I can't remember what it was on this day...the kids were little and life was hectic.  What I do remember was her reply when she realized I felt grateful and yet beholden to her.  She told me that she had been blessed by the kindness of others when she was a young mother.  By helping me from time to time, she felt like she was repaying their kindnesses.  In my fragile, new walk with God, I recognized He was using my neighbor to be His hands and feet.  I saw a glimpse of Jesus.

     God has placed so many special people in my life...precious family members, close friends and bosom buddies.  There has been a particular angel in my life whose kindnesses could fill the pages of a book.  In fact, I wonder if I'd be a Christian today if God had not seen fit to place her in my path?

    I remember her attentiveness to my small children when I first began bringing them to church.  She encouraged me to trust in God and talked often to me about spiritual matters.  Once, when I was very sick, she came into my home with some ladies from my church and they visited and prayed for me.  I immediately felt that I was loved and a part of the Body of Christ.

    A prominent lady in town, Sally once gave me all her seldom-used Santa collection and lovely Christmas china-at least eight giant Rubbermaid boxes filled with goodies!  To this day, when we unwrap our Christmas decorations, we sense God's love and feel His angels all around us. 

     When my friend and I started a small fresh flower business, Sally was one of our best customers and blessedly talked us up to all her friends and acquaintances.  As a matter of fact, she even hired a decorator for us!  It wasn't long before our little business hit the ground running!

     I know I'm not the only one on the receiving end of her kindness...far from it!  She has a great burden for the lost and those in need and is responsible for starting our local soup kitchen which now feeds an average of 250 people a day, five days a week!  I recently had a chance to watch her in action.  She doesn't just cook and dish out food but listens to the people's problems and passes out encouragement.  Whether that person is reeking of body odor, mentally challenged or a crack -addict... her demeanor never changes.  She treats everyone as if they are the President of the United States.  The people come away from her feeling loved and accepted.  They've seen a glimpse of the Father's love in their beloved Mrs. Sally.  By the way, Sally doesn't like recognition and is in fact embarrassed by it.  She desires ALL the glory and honor go to God.

     God places these special people in our lives to encourage and guide us along.  He has also told us to be kind to strangers because you might be entertaining angels unaware.  Maybe you are a young, fragile Christian who needs to be discipled or maybe you have grown in your faith and need to begin discipling.  See the difference?  Either way, allow your heart to be open to those He's placed in your life. 

     To be ripe for discipleship, allow yourself to be teachable, available and seek to obey God.  If you find yourself on the other end of the spectrum, don't be dismayed if your gifts are not as big and obvious as others.  All our gifts are equally important and may only be noticed by the recipient.  And as a discipler, you don't have to be perfect.  But allow yourself to be increasingly dependent on God, be available to others and let the Holy Spirit work through you.  Also, be teachable and willing to grow from those you disciple.

     I thank God for the special angels He's placed in my path.  I pray that I can also be open to helping others even when I despair that my gifts don't seem as big as someone else's.  The main thing is to go where He leads us and to love God and love others as ourselves.  May we all encourage and challenge each other towards maturity in Christ.




Titus 2:3-5 says, "Similarly, teach the younger women to live in a way that honors God. They must not slander others or be heavy drinkers. Instead, they should teach others what is good. These older women must train the younger women to love their husbands and their children, to live wisely and be pure, to work in their homes, to do good, and to be submissive to their husbands. Then they will not bring shame on the word of God."

Also remember..."I was hungry and you fed me, I was thirsty and you gave me a drink, I was homeless and you gave me a room, I was shivering and you gave me clothes, I was sick and you stopped to visit, I was in prison and you came to me.  Then the sheep are going to say, "Master, what are you talking about?  When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink?  And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?'  Then the King will say, 'I'm telling the solemn truth:  Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was Me-you did it to Me.' "  Matthew 25: 35-40



1 comment: