~This blog is intended as an avenue to spread the Gospel and to encourage those who are already Christians. I hope you'll begin by reading my Faith Story located in the July 2011 archives.~











Friday, July 8, 2011

Teach Me How to Pray



Some days, I can't seem to get started in my prayer.  Maybe you've never really prayed or have no idea how to begin.  In the Bible, Jesus' disciples asked Him to teach them how to pray.  He responded with what we call "The Lord's Prayer".  Within that prayer, there are several components.  To remember them, I use a simple acronym based on the word ACTS.  I borrowed it from a children's devotional but it has helped me when I don't know how to begin.  Hope it will help you too.

  • A is for adoration.  God wants to be praised.  He wants us to spend time glorying in His awesomeness and telling Him how much we love Him. 

  • C is for confession.  As Christians, we will sin.  But we should spend time specifically confessing our sins to Him.  Ask for His help to turn away from or repent from our sins.  Sin happens, but repeated sin should no longer be the lifestyle of a Christian.  For example, we may be guilty of stealing.  But repent of the sin and don't allow stealing to become something we do again. 

  • T is for thanksgiving.  Take time to thank Him for all the many blessings He gives you daily.  Be specific and take time to dwell on how great He is.

  • S is for supplication.  The root word of supplication is "supply".  Humbly ask God to supply your needs and the needs of others. 

1 comment: