~This blog is intended as an avenue to spread the Gospel and to encourage those who are already Christians. I hope you'll begin by reading my Faith Story located in the July 2011 archives.~











Saturday, July 9, 2011

Objections to Christianity

     Perhaps you struggle with your intellect and it stands in the way of believing there is a God.  You are not alone.  I once fancied myself quite and intellectual and it seemed that things stood in my way that didn't bother most people.  I wondered about what happened to those who had never heard of Jesus.  It seemed it was narrow-minded to think Jesus was the only way to God.  Wasn't being a good person all that really mattered?  Why was there evil in the world?  And what about those hypocritical Christians? 

     Since this was an obvious obstacle to my having freedom in Christ, I took my mustard seed of faith (for that was all I had) and asked God to help me with my questions.  In Jeremiah 29:3, He gives us a promise.  "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."  God began peeling back the layers of my doubt.  As I read the Bible, it began to feel more like an exciting novel as it unfolded and gave me the answers to life's questions.  God also led me to useful books and wise people because I'd asked for His help. 

     To write all that I've learned in a blog would be never-ending.  But along the way, I've read some exceptional books and have come upon some helpful websites that you can trust.  I'd like to share those.

1) Read the Bible for it is God-breathed and infallible.  You can read the Bible online in whatever version you choose on this fantastic site!    http://www.biblegateway.com/

2) This Christian Apologetics website has been around for quite some time and it is extensive and beyond helpful.  It also gives lots of advice for those struggling with cults or new age movements.  http://carm.org/

3)  A most-helpful website about integrating science and faith.  http://www.reasons.org/

4) A mega-site that provides Biblical answers to contemporary question.  http://www.christiananswers.net/

5) One of my favorite Christian apologists who spends his life defending the faith and helping others defend it also...http://www.leestrobel.com/


Now for some of my favorite Christian Apologetic books...

1) Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis

2)  Jesus Among Other Gods:  The Absolute Claims of the Christian Message by Ravi Zacharias

3) The Case for Christ and The Case for Faith, both by Lee Strobel

4) Letters from a Skeptic: A Son Wrestles with His Father's Questions about Christianity by Dr. Gregory Boyd

*There are so many books and sites out there but these are my faves.

2 comments:

  1. I love Letters to a Skeptic. I think it's about the best one I have read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, the guy who wrote it was part of the same denomination I grew up in in his youth so I can really relate to him.

    ReplyDelete